Be it occasional dog mistakes, puppy training mishaps or just generally messy pooches, a good odor and stain remover is essential to keep on hand. Accidents happen, and every dog will trudge wet, dirty smells throughout the house.
When people use specialized dog cleaners for the first time, they often regret not having found them sooner. Contrary to popular belief, generic household cleaners will make most dog specific stains worse and do nothing to eliminate the residual smell, though they may cover it up with a Pine-O freshness for a day or so.
Applied correctly, specialized dog cleaners and odor removers are incredibly effective at both removing any visual evidence, and lingering smells caused by dogs. Be it:
- Wet dog smell
- And even blood
On Any surface:
- Upholstery; furniture, bedding, car upholstery
- Hard flooring; timber, laminate, tiles, concrete
- Dog crates, dog houses, bedpans
- Clothing, washing machine safe
- Litter boxes, outdoor
Stain & Odor Miracle By Sunny And Honey
Best For Carpet
Woolite Dog Stain Carpet Cleaner
Best For Sever Stains
OUT! Severe Stain & Odor Remover
Best Hard Floor Cleaner
Natures Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner
Best Odor Removing Candle
Pet Odor Exterminator Candle
Best Odor Absorbing Sponge
Bad Air Sponge
Best Outdoor Odor Eliminator
Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator
Table Of Contents
What Makes An Effective Stain & Odor Remover
- Stain Removing Properties: A good cleaner should be tough on stains, even long-standing ones. From feces, urine, and mud to grass and even blood.
- Odor Eliminating Properties: The primary purpose of a dog cleaner is neutralizing odors, the best products utilize enzymes and other strong odor removers to react with the mess and completely remove odors for good, not just cover them up.
- Pleasant Scent: It takes a little bit of time for the odor neutralizers in dog cleaning products to work, in the meantime, we can rely on the pleasant scent of the cleaner.
- Application Time: Depending on what the cleaner is made with and how it works to remove stains and odors, it can take anywhere between 10-60 minutes for them to activate and do their job thoroughly.
- Gentleness: Especially when working with fabrics like furniture, bedding, and carpet, it is important that we are not left with any discoloration, a good cleaner should be tough on stains, not the fabric or floor.
- Multi-Purpose Use: From cloth’s washing to fabric and hard floors, only needing to reach for one bottle is very convenient, many of the modern dog stain and odor removers do just that and work on many surfaces.
- Natural and Chemical Free: Seeing as we will predominantly be using these products in the areas our dogs spend most of their time or even on the clothes they wear, it is important that they be allergen and chemical free.
Best All-Purpose Dog Stain And Odor Remover
For most dog owners, an all-purpose cleaner will be the ultimate solution. They can be used on just about any surface and are very effective with light to moderate stains. The convenience of having one bottle for just about all stain removal, dog urine, and other odors is a benefit that is hard to overlook.
Pro Tip: with multi-purpose cleaners, we recommend that it be purchased in 1-gallon bottles as we find people tend to use it much more often, on larger surfaces and run out quickly.
1. Stain & Odor Miracle By Sunny And Honey:
Available in a 32oz spray bottle and 1-gallon tubs, this enzymatic cleaner has been one of the most popular products on the market for many years and for good reason. It is one of the strongest all natural, dog safe cleaners that works hard on stains and even harder on odors, especially dog urine. It is safe for use on most surfaces and suitable for both indoor and outdoor application. It is hard to think you would ever need anything else.
- True multi-purpose, works on all surfaces
- Strong enzyme formula
- Dog and children safe
- Mint Scented
- 10% of profits go to shelters & dog rescue
- Helps prevent repeat markings
- Money back guarantee
Strong on dog urine smell and suitable for almost every surface, this is a true multi-purpose dog mess cleaner.
Not as effective on deep or old set in stains as a specialized hard stain remover.
2. Stain & Odor Terminator By Bubbas:
A very strong enzymatic cleaner that is chemical free and safe for use on just about every surface you can think of. Also available in one-gallon tubs or a 32oz easy applicator spray bottles.
- Strong enzyme formula is tough on stains and odors
- True Multi-Purpose, safe on almost all fabrics
- Varying application time based on stains
- Available in 32oz and 128oz bottles
- Natural chemical free, safe for pets and children
- Satisfaction guarantee
A time tested professional strength cleaner that is truly multi-purpose and has proven particularly effective on carpet stains.
Some people prefer a scented option.
3. All Natural Stain & Odor Remover By Skouts Honor:
If you are looking to try something new and also like to support socially conscious companies, we think this should be the next product you try. Skouts honor does not use enzymes like most other cleaners, it uses what they have phrased next-gen cleaning technology. We don’t know what that means exactly but we do know that it works, and well. Just like enzymatic cleaners it is effective on both stains and odors and is completely pet safe and environmentally friendly, the key advantage they have is that it works faster than enzymatic cleaners. For every product sold a portion of the funds goes towards feeding dogs in shelters.
- Strong on both stains and odors
- Fast acting
- Pet safe and environmentally friendly
- Each purchase supports dogs in shelters
- Satisfaction guarantee
- Available in 35oz and 128oz bottles
Faster acting that other multi-purpose cleaners, yet just as effective on both stains and odors and safe on almost any surface.
Fairly new to the market, so does not have the brand reputation of some of the other products on this list.
Best Carpet Dog Stain And Odor Remover
1. Woolite Dog Stain Carpet Cleaner:
When it comes to carpet, mats, and rugs, nothing hits dog stains better than woolies. It can completely remove even the toughest stains like blood, vomit, urine, poop, and heavy dirt stains. If your dog did it, this is your best chance at removing it. Designed specifically to get to the very bottom of thick, plush, and dense carpet and rugs.
- Triple action stain remover
- Fast acting
- Fabric discoloration prevention
Heavy stains such as blood, heavy set, and dried poop, grass stains, and urine in thick plush rugs and carpet will be easy work for this cleaner. It’s a great fall back for when nothing else will do the trick.
Not effective at removing long term odors. Being a strong cleaner, caution must be taken to ensure you avoid fabric discoloration.
2. Resolve Dog Expert Carpet Stain Remover:
Resolve is a trusted brand in the pet stain removal business. They have specific solutions for just any mess you can imagine and their carpet cleaner is one of their best. As with most carpet cleaners, it is only available in a hand-held spray bottle for better application but is made more affordable in bulk packaging.
- Very tough on heavy stains
- Pet safe
- Also useable on everyday stains like wine and dirt
Perfect for removing deep-seated carpet stains and somewhat good on odor cover-up.
Only available in small 16oz bottles
Best Heavy Dog Stain Remover
1. OUT! Advanced Severe Stain & Odor Remover:
When you have tried everything else, this is what you turn too. It’s fantastic for both new and old dog stains and unlike most other harsh dog stain removers this also treats residual odors with a strong enzymatic bacteria. It also contains cleaners that remove pheromones which assist in reducing your dog repeating mistakes in the same spot.
- Toughest on stains there is
- Pet and child safe
- Helps reduce repeat mistakes in same place
- Environmentally friendly
Tough stain treatment on multiple surfaces with odor elimination, not just cover up.
Not suitable for cleaning large areas.
Best Hard Floor Cleaner
1. Natures Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner:
Natures miracle is one of the biggest and most trusted brands when it comes to pet cleaners. Though we like a lot of their products, their large surface floor cleaner is heads above the rest. Maybe that has something to do with their humble beginnings being a famous school floor cleaner. It is not only safe on all hard floor types like timber, concrete, tiles, linoleum, and vinyl it also protects the surface from repeated dirt and soiling, without leaving any residual film behind. As the name suggests it is made with all natural ingredients and is safe for dogs, other pets and children.
- Will not harm floor finish
- Protects against repeat soiling
- Works instantly
- Useful on moderate to tough stains and odors
- Penetrates crevices
- Safe for dogs and children
- Available in 24oz and 128oz bottles
For a good enzymatic cleaner, this product is very affordable considering the area it can cover.
The optional spray attachment may stop working.
Best Dog Odor Removing Candle
1. Pet Odor Exterminator Candle:
The only candle we recommend. Surprising to even us, these candles work amazingly! With enzymes formulated into them they don’t just cover up odors, they remove them. With 70 burn hours, these candles will last a reasonably long time and make the perfect solution if guests are coming.
Our favorite feature it that they come in 47 seriously delightful flavors! of those the most Popular being:
- Apple & Pumpkin
- Creamy Vanilla
- Lavender & Chamomile
- Maple Leaf
- The Hippie Love Jar
- Pet and child safe
- 47 delightful fragrances
- Enzyme Formulated
- Removes pet and other household odors
- 70 hour burn time
A long-lasting candle that removes dog odors unlike anything else we have seen. It is completely pet safe and available in 47 delicious fragrances.
Some people feel it is a little on the expensive side for a candle.
Best Dog Odor Absorbing Sponges
Though these are not a substitute for actual cleaning, they work amazingly well at removing dog odors. be in your car, your home or around the dog house. If you are having dog odor issues in specific rooms or areas, these are a great option.
1. Bad Air Sponge Dog Odor Neutralizer:
The bad air sponge is famous for its ability to remove just about any foul odor you can imagine dog smalls included. Their so effective they are often used in commercial clean-ups to remove residual foul odors. If you read reviews about this product anywhere, you are going to find nothing but surprised rave reviews of people who are shocked at how well it works.
- Non-toxic, pet and child safe
- Simple to use and works fast
It’s as simple as opening the lid, putting it in place and forgetting about it. The sponge will work for months absorbing and removing any odors in the area.
Some feel it is a little pricey.
2. Smells Begone Air Freshener Dog Odor Absorber Gel:
What makes this product different to the bad air sponge is that it uses natural essential oils to leave behind a gentle fragrance, on top of also absorbing surrounding smells. Though it is more affordable than the bad air sponge, we find it to be less effective at actually removing odors and is more suitable for things like a subtle wet god small near its crate.
- Available in 6 different fragrances
- Works for 60-90 days
- Non-toxic and pet safe
This easy to use tub comes in 6 delightful fragrances, made from natural essential oils. It is long lasting and completely pet and child safe.
Not as strong at odor removal as the bad air sponge.
Best Outdoor/Backyard Dog Odor Eliminator
Get your family and maybe even your neighbors into your back yard again. By removing that lingering dog smell made up of urine, poop and general wet dog, you will also reduce the number of flies that are calling your yard home.
Although outdoor doggie smells can be treated with multi-purpose dog odor products, and for cleaning hard brick, concrete, timber decking stains it is recommended, you will achieve much better results with these outdoor specific products for general outdoor dog odors.
1. Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator For Dogs:
This product comes with two bottles, a 32oz spray bottle for attaching to your garden hose and 1-gallon refilling tub. It also includes a funnel to transfer the liquid from one container to the other. Simple green is the most popular and well known outdoor dog odor remover there is, with a commercial strength enzyme formula it works exceptionally well on the toughest of odors, on most surfaces including; patios, decks, dog houses and crates, artificial grass, outdoor furniture, and other general yard areas. Though the scent of the product’s fragrance is not mentioned we would describe it as spring fresh, almost soapy.
- Powerful odor eliminator
- Enzymatic formula
- Non-toxic, pet and child safe
- Garden hose attachable
The most effective outdoor odor eliminator, it uses enzymes to break down the cause of the odors entirely. Comes with a handy garden hose attachment.
Not safe for use on real grass and plants.
2. NaturVet Yard Odor Eliminator Stool & Urine Deodorizer:
The key feature of this yard odor remover is that unlike others, it can safely be used on real live grass, plants, and shrubs. Though it may not be as strong as Simple Green, it will do the trick for most smaller households. It can be used on any outdoor surface where dog odors may arise and comes in a 32oz bottle with a garden hose attachment (64oz refill sold separately).
- Safe on real grass and plants
- Non-toxic, pet and children safe
- Money back guaranteed
- Garden hose attachable
Usable on real grass and plants, this odor remover will make quick work of low to medium strength dog odors. It comes with a quick garden hose attachment.
Not enzymatic. Not as strong on odors as Simple Green.
How to Apply Dog Stain and Odor Removers Correctly
No matter the dog cleaning product you purchase or make, the process for removing dog mess is always the same. Though you should read the product instructions, following these steps carefully will get you the best results.
Always use pet specific cleaners first! Traditional household cleaners can set in the stains and odors, making it much more difficult to remove.
Always test the product on a small and hidden area first! To ensure it will not cause excessive color run. Apply a small amount of the product, leave it for 5-10 minutes and wipe up with a light colored cloth. A small amount of color on the cloth may be perfectly reasonable, but large amounts of color indicate that it may cause permanent discoloration and should be avoided on that surface.
- Remove All Excess: With a dry paper towel or other absorbent cloth, remove as much of the surface solids (without smudging or further pushing them into the fabric) and soak up as much of the liquid as possible.
- Apply The Product As Directed: Apply a generous amount of the dog odor or stain cleaner to the affected area.
- Let The Product Work Its Magic: Leave the product to soak in and chemically react with the surface. 10 minutes is the minimum for most products, though some recommend up to 1 hour. It is important that you stick to this time frame.
- Final Clean-Up: Again using paper towels or other absorbent cloth, soak up and dry as much of the area as possible. Using your body weight to apply pressure on the area in most cases is best.
- Repeat the Process If Necessary: After the area is completely dry, with heavy stains, it is possible odor will still remain. We have found that another application of the product in the above fashion will solve this issue.
DIY Dog Stain And Odor Remover
Need a solution for right now? Though not as effective for long term odors or at removing the heavy, deep-seated stains, this will get you by in the meantime.
Mix the following (or adjust as needed) and pour into a container or spray bottle. Be careful when adding the bicarbonate soda as it may bubble up quite a lot:
- 1 Cup: White Vinegar
- 2 Cups: Water
- 1 Teaspoon: Bicarbonate Soda
Enzymatic cleaners contain enzymes which speed up the break down of organic substances like those contained in dog urine, fecal matter, slobber, dirt, and other organic compounds. The reason this is important for dog mistakes and odors is that instead of just wiping away the mess they work to completely breakdown the elements into oxygen and hydrogen, removing them from your home entirely. They are also completely biodegradable and non-toxic.
All of the cleaners we have listed here are designed to work specifically with dog urine. Though they all work well for cleaning up the mess, some work better in removing any lingering urine smells and odors. For best results on odors, we suggest any of the enzymatic cleaners as they contain powerful residual odor eliminating capabilities, removing them completely not just covering them up.
It will depend on two things, the surface the dog poop is on and how long it has been there or how deep-seated into the surface it is. All of the cleaners listed here are designed to work very well with dog feces, you just need to select the product that most suitable to your situation. Again as with dog urine, enzymatic cleaners will do the best job at removing any remaining smell and you may find you need to use a heavy stain remover followed by an enzymatic cleaner or odor remover.